5/20/2004

Who am I?

Now that I've stated my intentions and plans, I should probably give you a little background about me so you're aware of the context from which I'm writing things. As previously stated I'm married (though only recently), own my own house, and have a number of pets (cats, dogs, visiting mice . . . . ). I'm currently in my early thirties, but I try not to act it and certainly don't look it.

Educationally, I have a BA in Political Economy from a small private college up north. I also have an MBA from a highly ranked B-school and will be starting law school in the fall. Professionally, I'm going on 12 years of increasingly difficult IT related work. I started out as a geek and have moved on to management, but I have a hard time staying out of the details of things based on my geekish tendencies.

Speaking of being a pseudo geek, if you were to observe my hobbies and pastimes, you might not think there's a lot of pseudo to it. I can admit now (as part of a 12 step program), that I'm a PC gaming addict. Of course, going to evening school for the next 4 years should cure some of that, but hopefully not all. I play all sorts of PC games, from FPSers to RPGs and RTSs. I also read about gaming regularly which has lead to a minor online comic addiction. Fortunately, my other hobbies are less geekish and involve regular work on my older home and random tinkering with old cars.

Other minor details, I'm a news junkie, a sports fan, and enjoy good wine, fine scotch, and a well made robusto. I'm also what's considered a foodie, as I like to cook, entertain, and will go out of the way for the best ingredients, the right restaurant, and the perfect place to sit and enjoy a cocktail.

That pretty much sums up the whole of my persona, especially if you add in the fact that I'm a Texan who drives a pickup truck. You can supply you own stereotype here, but odds are you'd be off in more ways than one.