Law School Concerns
I've been reading "Getting to Maybe" and some random law student blogs and I'm starting to get concerned about being a "non-traditional" law school student, especially at a school with a new evening program where I'll be a guinea pig. I fit the nontrad category in more than one way because I'll be going part-time and because I'll be coming into the program with over 10 years of solid working experience, the last ~7 of which have been as a manager.
I'm only half way through "Getting to Maybe", but one of the things that stands out to me is that most of their advice is perfectly logical. I'm not saying that I'd have necessarily answered the questions the way they're suggesting on my own, but there's nothing in their approach that doesn't make sense. Maybe it's in how the author's are writing but I get the impression that their approach isn't necessarily logical for their audience (or maybe just their intended audience). In thinking about my mindset fresh out of undergrad maybe their approach would have been a stretch, but having worked for the last 10+ years now, it makes complete sense.
The other thing that concerns me is the whole impression that law school is merely a graduate degree program for liberal arts majors. In reading some law student blogs I see lots of reasons people choose law school over other options, only a few of which are because of an inherent interest in the topic. One of the key reasons people choose law school over business school is because of the work requirement to get into most b-schools. Now, I know I'll be in an evening, part-time program, but the obvious fact that the entire curriculum is built around a particular type of student gives me concerns that it won't be translated well to students who don't fit that mold.
I'm writing this because of my experiences as a part-time b-school student at the same school where I'll be attending law school. While the part-time b-school program was well established by the time I attended, there were still several areas where the b-school had problems dealing with part-time students. Also, the companies interviewing when I graduated had no idea how to interview people who were employed and established in their careers and I'm hearing that law firms interviewing law students have the same problem.
I guess I'm just being apprehensive since I thought of most of this before I decided to apply in the first place. This whole sitting around and waiting for school to start isn't good for me. It causes me to think too much.

<< Home