7/01/2004

Crooks on Ebay, who would have guessed?

So I'm in the market for a new (to me) cell phone and thought I'd look on ebay since I don't really need a "new" phone and am too cheap to buy one anyways. I think I know what make/model I want and I find this guy selling all kinds of phones that work on the wireless network I'm on. He's got new and "like new" phones listed at reasonable prices and has lots of positive feedback. He's also got several negative feedbacks, but one of his positive ones states he's a good communicator. Based on that comment, I email the guy and ask him where he's getting his phones from in order to determine if his definition of "like new" is similar to mine. His reply?

"I guess you will have to read my feedback and make your own desicion"

What an arrogant bastard. Provoked now, I reply asking him why he responded as he did and that I was flabbergasted. I was merely looking for a response along the lines of him being a reseller or agent, not a prick. In addition, given his negative feedback, I was looking for a little convincing that he wasn't as shady as he seemed. His response?

"I have to answer alot of emails, no time for specifics. Besides you don't ask a butcher where he gets his cows? I get the from where ever availiable, many many places............."

I'm not making this stuff up, boys and girls. This guy seems to be basically admitting that he's a crook selling stolen merchandise because if he'd come by it honestly he'd say as much. This is the kind of guy that gives ebay a bad rap because most sellers the wife and I have dealt with have been honest and upfront, gladly answering any questions we might have. Of course, I'm going to reply again just for entertainment purposes to see what else I can get him to say and I'll be making my replacement cell phone purchase elsewhere, but I find this whole thing quite baffling.

Ebay & Akron, OH Police: If you want info on this guy, leave a comment and I'll fill you in. I'll deal with the wireless carrier legal department separately.