7/27/2004

Weekend dinner party

As those of you who know me are aware, I like to host dinner parties, whether for friends, fellow students, or, as was the case Saturday evening, neighbors. Our neighborhood has a rotating Supper Club on a monthly basis and Saturday was our turn to host the event. As the host we were obligated to provide the main course, with everyone else bringing sides, desserts, and beverages of choice. To that end, I decided on fajitas and headed out to the internet for a marinade recipe. I'd tried a number of marinade recipes before and had been unsatisfied, but now that FoodTV has ratings on their recipes, I picked a highly rated one from Tyler Florence. It was excellent. I used it on both beef and chicken and both were delicious. In looking for this recipe, I ran across a number of sangria recipes, and decided to try that as well. I found this one from Emeril that was a huge hit. I used a Spanish blend that the wine guy at Sigel's recommended and the outcome was spectacular. When I first made it I was concerned that it was too powerful, but after it sat for several hours, it mellowed out nicely and was a pleasant drink. And boy, did it go over well!

I've been going to this Supper Club in our neighborhood for a number of years and they're generally pleasant affairs where we sit around, eat, drink, and generally have a good time. We talk about neighborhood issues, discuss our personal lives, and enjoy the good food and the good company. Until Saturday, I'd never seen one get too rowdy or run terribly late. I don't know what it is about my house, but the gathering Saturday got a little wild for the crowd. At some point, a neighbor from the next block started the group at his table playing quarters and not long after, one of the ladies from next door had convinced that table to play asshole. The next thing I know, there's 10 people around that table calling for more Sangria and smacking people on their butts because of some rule the President had made. It was a riot. All in all, it was a fun gathering and I've been told that a good time was had by all.