I miss my drive time tunes
I know that what I'm currently experiencing in listening to local radio isn't unique to me or to the market I live in, but that doesn't make me feel better or provide better answers to the following question:
"Where do I go for quality music to listen to during my drive to and from work?"
Until early this week, there were at least 2 radio stations I could flip back and forth between to listen to music and/or talk as I saw fit. But this week one of the major radio conglomerates that happens to own both of these stations changed my options. Now, I've only got one legitimate option to listen to and it isn't the better of the two based on my music tastes.
Now, instead of this discussion turning into a dirge about the death of local radio brought about by the FCC and corporate America, I'm more interested in the impacts this change will have on my music buying and listening habits. To begin with, instead of being able to get all the way to work by flipping around the radio dial, I now have to face the reality that I've got to have some alternate form of music to get me to and from my job on a daily basis. The question is, where to get it?
Option A is to buy more CDs that I can rotate though on a weekly or monthly basis. The problem is that there aren't enough good songs on ANY CDs these days to warrant the purchase of a whole one for the $10-15 most stores want for them.
Option B is to buy songs one at a time from one of the many online music stores and then compile my own CDs, but then I'm stuck with their restrictions on what I can do with the songs and how many times I can record them.
Option C is to expand my listening criteria to listen to other music formats.
Option D is to illegally download what I want to record how I want when I want, but that comes with a larger hassle these days and an increasing amount of risk.
Option E is to quit listening to music at all and switch to talk radio or just plain silence.
Given the above, all the options pretty much suck for me, and probably for a lot of other people as well. This highlights a hole in the marketplace that can be filled by any number of options if the music industry were to get together and come up with something inventive. Alternatively, someone could just start a new station to replace the one that we lost and while they won't make a profit that satisfies larger radio conglomerates, I'm sure it will be somewhat profitable.

<< Home