6/10/2004

Flags

Sorry to prolong the Reagan discussion, but has anyone seen the flags around town? I saw one this morning that was at more of a 4/5 mast than 1/2 mast at a hotel on my way to work. What's up with that? Couldn't the person seeing it notice that it was raised to high for 1/2 mast, but not high enough for full mast? Isn't 1/2 mast a standard stopping point on a flag pole? I've never raised one myself, but I'd think there'd be something in the design of the flag pole so that the raiser would know when the flag was at 1/2 mast.

Speaking of, is that 1/2 from the top, middle, or bottom of the flag? It's a legitimate question if you've seen some of the flags at car dealerships that are the size of a small building. Seriously. These flags are so large that at 1/2 mast from the top of the flag, they practically drag the ground, and I know that's not proper flag etiquette. Who are these people who think they need such large flags? I know that car dealerships want to stand out, but I'm not sure over patriotism helps their numbers any. I wonder if anyone has done a marketing study to see if dealerships with bigger flags sell more cars or if there is any sort of relationship between the two at all? Just curious.