8/11/2004

Pre 1L reading

Well, I finished reading "Getting to Maybe" the other night, and just in time given that school starts in less than 2 weeks. Overall, I'd give it 2 thumbs up because it has some good recommendations even if some of them are common sense. As I mentioned when I first started reading the book here, there's nothing in the book that isn't logical if you stop and think about it, but it's a good read none the less.

I think the book is directed to the fresh out of undergrad audience and from that perspective I think it's excellent. The book breaks down what the differences between law school and undergrad school are and how learning and testing are almost radically different. It provides a good perspective about what kinds of questions to expect and how to go about answering them as law school students rather than as an undergrad might go about formulating an answer.

For anyone who's completed some graduate work or who has worked in a business environment for a number of years, though, the book is a little more detailed than necessary. The authors delve too far into issues that are obvious to this crowd that might not be obvious to students with no prior work experience. I found myself skimming these sections looking for useful tidbits and was usually rewarded. If you fit in this category and don't have time to read the whole book, at least glance through the last couple of chapters where the authors list a number of bullet points with paragraph explanations about what "to-do" and what "not-to-do" on law school exams to succeed. Then, if your not clear or are interested in a particular point, you can go back to that particular section in the book and read further without having to read through the whole thing.

All in all, the book is an easy read and I believe beneficial to anyone facing law school exams in the coming semesters. Of course, I'll provide a final observation after my first set of finals, but until then, consider this a recommendation to anyone just starting or thinking about going to law school in the near future.