Super Hero defenses
In torts last night we went through the case where the lady crashed her car because she became delusional and then tried to claim insanity as a defense against negligence. Of course, the obvious problem with this case isn't that the lady was delusional, but that she thought she could fly because Batman can fly. As Prof. Torts aptly pointed out, this is a case of bad lawyering because everyone knows that Batman can't fly. No wonder she was convicted.
But that wasn't the end of the discussion. Prof. Torts then went down the list of acceptable Super Hero defense and admonished each of us to keep them straight such that we didn't commit such obvious errors in our defenses.
For crimes committed under water - use the Aquaman defense (especially is sea animals are involved)
For crimes committed when you thought you could fly - use the Superman defense (not the Batman defense).
For crimes committed that involve crawling up the side of a building - use the Spiderman defense.
For any crimes involving invisible airplanes - try the Wonder Woman defense.
Now, thanks to Prof. Torts, I'll be able to keep my Super Hero defenses in a nice neat list so that I won't get them confused in case I ever need to use them. Since this was such useful information, I thought I'd share. Enjoy and feel free to leave you own examples in the comments!

<< Home