To my co-workers
To my co-worker who regularly engages in "pass the buck":
Why do you do this to me? Why is it that every time there's a problem you hang some other group? You know that every time there's a problem that even smells like it could be related to my group I'm always willing to see if I can help you out. As a manager, there are certain things I can do and there are certain things I cannot do. I understand that this doesn't necessarily make since but it's true and I've always been up front about it. In return for my willingness to help, all I usually ask is for a little help opening up a trouble ticket or tracking the issue. This isn't because I think it's your role and/or responsibility, but because you're closer to the problem. But time and time again you push back using roles/responsibility excuses as to why some other group of people who cannot be as effective should resolve the problem. I don't understand.
Today's issue directly impacts your group and the work load will be on you to deal with it until it is resolved. Sure, some other group may get blamed and absolutely, it's my departments problem, but the direct impact is to your group. I don't follow your "pass the buck" approach.
Effective team work is about stepping up to bat for the benefit of the team, regardless of your roles and responsibility. Thus I started working on the issue when you identified it, not when my client brought it to me. I certainly could have waited because they're my client, not you. But I don't play the game that way and I don't like working with people who do. Since I can now place you in that group based on your extended behavior please be aware of the following.
If you have a problem, to bad. Take the problem back to whomever you want but I will not deal with it until it's brought to me through the appropriate channels. Given that most of your problems are production related and I don't usually work on production related issues, I don't expect to see or hear from you for the foreseeable future. As a result, you will lose access to my years of experience with your products and with the surrounding development to implement them into our environment, but again, too bad. You have now passed the buck to me one too many times and since our environment is conducive to that mentality, please be prepared to see it passed right along. While at times I have enjoyed working with you please note that I no longer do and furthermore, consider you a complete $#$%#@. If you would be so kind as to remove my email and phone number from your personal address book and refrain from contacting me going forward, I will gladly do the same. Thanks

<< Home