9/15/2004

I just don't understand

Anyone around here been to Love Field lately to pick up anyone? For those of you not from around here, Love Field (DAL) is the regional airport that Southwest Airlines flies out of. Their pick up area is approximately 200 feet long with pull in spaces for vehicles. There are no other waiting options except to drive the circle around the parking garage. On a recent trip there to pick someone up, this area was being actively monitored by 2 policemen who were shooing away any car that stayed in place for more than a couple minutes without someone getting in and/or out of the vehicle. The signs say for pickup only, no waiting, standing, or parking, and they mean it.

My question is, what else am I supposed to do? Since I can't meet my party at the gate anymore, there's no reason to pay for parking and go inside. Driving around the circle for an unlimited amount of time doesn't seem to benefit anyone, especially those actively trying to cut across this traffic to get to the curb to pick someone up. And it's not like the airlines are on time these days anyways. So what are my options? Wait a mile away in the Home Depot parking lot until the party I'm picking up calls me from baggage claim? And what if one of us doesn't have a cell phone? Then what am I supposed to do?

As you can tell, this whole situation frustrates me. Now, if were at an alert level orange or something I certainly understand the added caution of having officers actively walking up and down the sidewalk checking people out, but I've either got to have a place to wait, or a reliable estimation from the airline as to how long it will take for the passenger to deplane and to collect their luggage. Armed with this info, I might actually try to get to the airport at the time they're to get their bags, not when their flight arrives.

What I can't figure out is who to address this issue with, the FAA, the airport, the airline, or the Department of Homeland Security? Without this info, I figure that whomever I go to will point the blame elsewhere. The airline will say it's an airport problem, the airport will say it's an FCC issue, and the FCC will point the finger at the new transportation authority, whatever they are called. All I want is some direction as to what behavior is expected of me and a viable option as to what I can do while I wait for planes to arrive. Someone, somewhere, HELP!