10/26/2004

On the election, pt. "next to last"

I'm writing about politics today because it beats the heck out of the whole Ashlee Simpson fiasco. Like we didn't know they did stuff like that?

To begin with, this guy is right on. Thanks to LBG for passing it along. Seriously, if you don't know who you're voting for at this point, stay home. People aren't undecided, just uncommitted. There's a difference. That said, quit telling us who's ahead and/or behind in the polls. It's not going to affect our vote and if it does, then stay home because voting for the poll leader or lagger is pretty stupid. Actually, just STFU anyways because I'm tired of hearing about the whole thing right now anyways. I've got election burnout. I think I agree with whoever I read yesterday who said they'd vote for the other party if the election were held today just to get it over with. I'm tired of it as a topic, as a discussion point, as a personal political statement, and as a national pass time. Let's move on already.

I've got a sign up in my yard, not because I have some compelling need to tell the world who I'm voting for or to sway people to my side, but merely to counteract the opposing sides in the yards all around me. I'm in the minority in my neighborhood (surprisingly enough) and I'm enjoying it. I take that back. I'm enjoying it because many of my neighbors have a sense of perspective and humor and we can joke around about it. Others, however, are way too serious about this thing and take it as a personal affront that I've polluted their neighborhood with my sign. Lighten up, people. I went to a yard sale over the weekend up the street at a house with an opposing sign and they started harassing me about my sign before I even got all the way out of my car. I didn't stop by to argue with them, just to see what they were selling. But that was lost on them. I'm happy that they're active, voting, and are concerned enough to have an opinion, but the fact that I've got a sign in my yard should convince you I'm not going to be persuaded to change sides. I've made up my mind based on criteria you're not even considering (which is obvious from talking to you) so shut up and go away. Oh, and good luck next Tuesday!

Speaking of next Tuesday, here's my prediction. Are you ready for this? I don't think it will be a close election, popularly or electorally. I'm not sure who's going to win, but in the end this will be the most over hyped election of all time. Either way, though, half of us will be ticked off and the rest will be elated, relieved, or whatever emotion fits your mood. And then we can get back to whatever it is that's going on in the world that we've missed out on for the last 3-4 months. Have I mentioned that I'm tired of this whole thing?