9/23/2004

Crime & Punishment (or the lack thereof)

You know, there's nothing more exciting than opening your car door first thing in the morning and seeing everything from your back seat in your front seat. It kinda makes your heart skip a beat as you prepare a mental checklist of everything that could have been involuntarily removed while you were sleeping.

This happened to me this morning as I opened my truck door to go to work. It seems that someone(s) rifled the contents of my truck last night. Fortunately, they didn't take anything (that I've noticed so far) because there was nothing to take, but I still feel violated and am incredibly ticked off this morning. It makes me wonder just how much longer I want to put up with this cr*p. The PD knows this happens regularly yet nothing has changed except their management. This happens on average 1-2 times a year. If I plan to stay around for 4 more years while I'm in school should I just mentally prepare myself to deal with this 4 or more times? And this is an acceptable way to live?

The good news - a list of the things they didn't take:
- cell phone car charger
- cell phone ear bud
- sunglasses (cheap ones from target)
- cigar in console
- toll tag
- screwdriver in glove box
- cds in case on visor (mostly burned copies)
- cargo straps or cargo bar
- workout gloves
- bug spray
- white shoe polish (left over from a wedding I was in)
- a newspaper from last week
- racquetballs

As you can see, nothing on the list above can be quickly pawned for cash to buy drugs or whatever else they wanted to do with it, thus it's relatively safe to leave this type of stuff in my truck (I say relatively because I've had some of the stuff listed above taken before, like burned CDs . . . . I didn't get it either).

Anyway, I'm really pissed off about this. Not because it happened and I feel violated, but because it continues to happen, year after year after year. I guess that whole thought that taxes = police patrolling my neighborhood is no longer a valid assumption. I know you're all going to comment that I should either move or shut up and you have a valid point, but I'll justify not moving in a later post. I just needed to get this out and now I've got work to do.