Observations
So I've been trying really hard not to say bad things about my company, especially now that I'm leaving, but I can't help but make a few observations as I walk out for the last time today. Maybe I'll get to the good stuff later, but here are a few minor things to tide you over until then.
- it's been interesting to see who has wished me well in my new endeavors and who has been oddly silent on my leaving. Those whom I thought I had a good working relationship with and got along well with haven't been as forthcoming with wishes of well being. Alternatively, those who I know dislike me and/or can't stand me have been up front in wishing me well in the future. I haven't heard the first word from people who I thought might be my friends and it kind of bothers me, a little.
- what do you say to someone who asks when your going away party is and there isn't one? And how do you explain that the guy who merely moved buildings got one but the guy leaving the company didn't? I know I'm the only member of my team in this city and the rest of my team is at our HQ location far, far away, but there are other bosses in my directorate who babysat me when it comes to management but yet don't want to be responsible for anything personal (despite the fact that I did, at one point, work for some of them as well). And what about the other people who I've developed relationships with over the last 3 years, why haven't they stepped up to the plate for this? Again, this is a little bothersome.
- it's odd walking out on your last day of work (sort of), knowing that you won't be walking back into that building again as an employee any time soon. There's some nostalgia with the place and some of the people despite all the reasons that led to this change. Some of the people are really cool and I'm going to miss working with them or stopping by their cubes to give them a hard time, or merely going to lunch with them. Others, I won't miss at all. Some I know I'll try to maintain friendships with outside the workplace but others I know I'll never see again. This is odd because some of my best friends are ones who were former co-workers and our friendships survived our co-employment and the end thereof.
I'll probably write more after Thanksgiving about what was wrong with the company and why I made the decision to leave. That's it for now, though.

<< Home