12/17/2004

Whew, that sucked

Finals, that is. Sorry I haven't posted in a while. What with starting a new job at the beginning of November, the Thanksgiving holiday, and then finals I haven't had time to spit, let alone thing about blogging anything. But now it's over and after I detox for a couple days I may post about finals, the last month of law school, and other things legal education related. In the mean time there's enough interesting news out there to provide me plenty of fodder for humor and ridicule.

For example, if make Christmas politically correct, don't we remove the justification for the holiday? And do the retailers who are leading this know they're talking themselves out of their biggest sales season of the year?

Christmas was originally a religious holiday, right? A Christian celebration of the birth of Christ. It's evolved into a gift giving occasion for the whole world, regardless of ones religion or lack thereof. But if you remove religion from a religious holiday, do you still have a holiday left? Wouldn't that be like having an annual celebration for the end of a war that never happened? It makes sense to me, I think.

So, if the Christians want to get in a huff about the over political correctness of the winter holiday season, they should stop buying gifts since the religion has been removed from holiday itself. It's kind of like those tax payers in OK (I think) who are voting down a bond issue for new schools because the school pulled the nativity out of the annual Christmas program. Quit your complaining and put your money where your belief is. In the mean time, if people are still buying, why should the retailers change?