7/07/2004

Vision

I'm sitting here typing this morning looking at the world through new glasses. Of course, I know some of you will say to your self, "glasses, I didn't know he wears glasses?" Well, I don't, but I should be, so I'm going to, at least for school. I'm going to start trying to wear them daily just to get used to them, but I don't know if this will become a daily thing.

Wearing glasses, or having to wear glasses, or merely needing to wear glasses is sort of weird. I've known since I finished up my MBA that I needed glasses to make out the small text on the overheads and on the marker boards in class. Since the option was to either move to the front of the class or get glasses to make out what I needed to pass the classes, I opted for glasses. I went to the eye doctor, got some glasses, and wore them until I graduated, only to put them in a drawer and leave them there for the last 2 years. Since I don't have a major vision problem and my problem is only with distance, I haven't "needed" them.

I've got a mild astigmatism that I blame on my father since they're somewhat hereditary. I know it's not all his fault since I've spent the last 10+ years of my life in front of a PC 8-10 or more hours a day, but I'm not one to take responsibility for anything that I can blame on my parents (love them as I do). Of course, I could opt for contacts and this frame around my world would go away, but I'm not ready to start sticking my finger in my eye unnecessarily. I know there are those of you who do this daily and have no sympathy for me, but y'all got to deal with this during childhood; it's new to me.

The wife says my new glasses make me look more handsome, and I don't think she's lying, but deep down inside I'm not sure she's not just telling me this to make me feel better. What's weird is that my field of focus is farther out than it has been so things distract me visually more than they would previously (because I wouldn't be able to define them, visually). Driving into the office this morning was weird with all the new, clearer objects in the distance that I can make out more easily than I could yesterday. I guess I'll get used to them since most people do, but it's still kind of weird. Oh well, I guess I'm just getting older, whether I like it or not.