8/23/2004

Notes from Contracts Syllabus

"If you miss more than three sessions, I reserve the right to exclude from taking the final examination. Please do not expect me to give you advance warning of your exclusion" - So, if I miss 4 classes and show up for the final the Prof isn't going to let me take the test, but isn't going to tell me beforehand either?

"If you have not given me a note [stating that you are unprepared for class] and are unprepared when I call on you, please gather your materials and leave the room. We can discuss later the possibility of your continued participation in the course."

The whole concept that a professor can require you to leave a class that you're paying to attend for any reason short of illegal activity is baffling to me. What happens if you say no, that you're not leaving? And what's the big deal if you're not prepared? So you're unprepared, that's your choice. You paying for the teacher's instruction, not to hear yourself talk. Yes, it improves the learning experience and yes, it's embarrassing to get caught unprepared, but it's an issue of simple economics.

Maybe if I'm 22 and going to law school to avoid having to get a job and am going on daddy's money this is an appropriate scare tactic, but I thought admissions departments were responsible for weeding out these types of applicants. I'm over 30, have held a professional job for over 10 years, and generally know what's expected of me in any given performance situation. I understand the requirements I've accepted by voluntarily choosing to go to law school while trying to hold a full time job and will do everything within my power to be prepared for each and every class. That said, I'm also well aware that there are certain employment and personal scenarios which might lead to me being unprepared for class. I shouldn't have to risk "the possibility of your continued participation in the course" if I walk in late on this particular day.

NOTE: I'm not writing any of this because I think I deserve special treatment because I'm a professional student. I had the same issue in B-school and the same issue as an undergrad. Going to school is my choice and I'm paying for a service. Whether I choose to take advantage of that service and to make the most of it is completely up to me. Attendance policies and other things schools do to try to control otherwise responsible adults seem out of line. If I don't pass the tests, fail me, but if I get good grades without ever going to class, don't knock me for not going to class. Maybe if schools made class interesting, or provided knowledge that was applicable on the test, the economic formula I use to determine whether I go or not will change in their favor. Until then, stop trying to babysit us.

I don't write any of this because I'm at risk for not being prepared or of missing more than 4 classes, but because this is a pet peeve of mine. Looking back I see the value of some of this for some of my fellow students who were not as committed to their college education as I was for a variety of reasons. Also, parents like knowing that their children will be in some sort of controlled environment when they go off to college. But this is a professional school where people have jobs and most likely families. If you're reasonably confident that students who don't attend class won't do well on the tests, then advise everyone of this and let it go. If we come, great. And if we don't, then let our grades be the punishment, not public humiliation. Yes, the ABA has attendance requirements, but 20% of 28 classes is 5, not 3, and I suspect you could argue that this is a cumulative number, not measured on a class by class basis (I don't know that, but maybe). Anyways, I'll get off my soap box now and try to have a good attitude about this. The Prof who's syllabus this was in is supposed to be good so I'll try not to hold his scare tactics against him.