9/08/2004

Things I think I miss

Now that I've been in school for a couple weeks, it's becoming obvious that I'm not going to have much free time to enjoy many things that I've spent the last year or so wasting my time on. For example, I think I'm going to miss out on the whole fall lineup on network television. Of course, Tivo will still record many of the shows I'd want to watch if I had time, but I think the wife is going to watch most of them without me except for a few I hope to have time to watch. Some of the shows I'll miss more than others, but I can't bring myself to cancel my Tivo recordings until it's obvious I won't get them watched. I've suggested upgrading the hard drive in the Tivo so it will hold all the shows until Christmas break, but that idea got shot down and I told the wife how much it'd cost.

The other thing I'm about to start missing out on are all the new PC game releases that come out every fall. For example, the new Call of Duty expansion is coming out next week and I'd love to get it and play it. Instead, I'll get to listen to my friends and co-workers tell me how much fun it is and what I'm missing out on. Then there's Half-Life 2, the Metal of Honor: Pacific Assault expansion and a number of other games that I'm sure I'd enjoy. Of course, not playing these is saving me money, I guess, but that doesn't make me feel much better. The only good news is that by the time my first break rolls around, my friends will have already played through these and will be able to loan me the disks to play over the holiday break.

One thing that I know I miss is dinner time, and it's as much the food as it is the time spent making it and eating it with the wife. I'm still confused about when I'm supposed to be eating because I go straight to school from work and then don't get home until 9pm or later. That sandwich I make when I get home is not nearly as good as the chicken and veggies I'd have thrown on the grill had I been home at a more reasonable hour.

I shouldn't complain, though. I knew most of this when I signed up for the program, but it was kind of abstract then and is more real now. I'm very happy with my choice, and I know I'm doing the right thing, but I also know that sitting back and playing a WWII shooter is really a lot of fun. Maybe I'll find some extra time on the weekends . . . .