Misc. Friday Posts
On politics
So I went out to pick up some political signs for my yard (to compete with my neighbors) and they wanted to charge me for them! They actually wanted me to pay for a sign to advertise for their candidate. It is me, or is this ridiculous? Oh, and then they wanted me to write my name down so that they could "track the donations" (and add me to their mailing list). I'm outraged. I'm morally opposed to this conceptually and politically! If you don't want me to help sway voters by putting a sign in my yard, then just keep on charging for them. I was actually going to pick up several signs to pass out but guess what, not now. Your candidate will not have a voice on my block or in my neighborhood. Your candidate's loss. Too bad!
On school
Well, it seems that solitaire and free cell are out in full force in our classroom. It started last week with a couple people, but now there are a number of screens in front and around me playing through all of class. Most are still trying to pay a little attention, but when the professor(s) goes off the games speed up. I only expect it to get worse.
Also, we got our first "graded" LRWA assignment last night. It's a research report and we've got 2 weeks to do it. Of course, we don't have all the knowledge because it hasn't been taught, yet, but we're supposed to get through it next week. We're also supposed to show our work using some sort of 2 notepad method that we've only barely been taught (more like explained than actually taught) because they don't trust us to do our own work. I don't get this. I mean, I do if there were inherent value in it, but the prof pointed out 2-3 times that the point was to prove we got from A to B by ourselves. Whatever. Oh, and then we have to sign this honor code form for each "graded" assignment. Something along the lines of "I swear on all things holy and pure that I am not lying . . ." I know ethics are a big deal, but turning in one of these with each assignment is a little much. Besides, if I'm unethical enough to cheat, would lying on a form mean anything to me? I didn't think so either.

<< Home