8/24/2004

Coincidence?

So I'm sitting in Contracts and the Prof makes an offhand comment about someone on the Internet not liking the attendance policy as stated in his syllabus. Knowing what I wrote a couple days ago, I checked my logs when I got home and guess what? There were over a dozen hits from the school's domain since about mid-morning. All in all, whoever visited from my school read a bunch of stuff here and spent some time doing it. Now, I don't know if that was one person, or many people, or even if it was this professor, but I've never seen anyone from this domain in my logs before and I'm not a big believer in coincidences.

Of course, this makes me wonder about the whole anonymity of this thing and what impacts it might have on my personal and public life if anyone were to put 2 & 2 together. I don't mind anyone reading this and am delighted that whoever visited took the time to read more than one single post. I'm not really hiding my identity too much, as any astute reader could figure out where I live, what school I attend and what class section I'm in, but since there are 90+ of us I can hide in the crowd a little, I think. Also, I'm not trying to identify my professors or fellow students by name, but given what you can identify about me, matching me with my professors is a relatively easy task. Also, since I did quote directly from the class syllabus, if the Prof were to read this it'd be easy to figure out he was being referred to.

That said, if you are the Prof in question, welcome to my blog. I hope you didn't take offense at what I wrote because it was directed more to the school and its environment (and maybe towards the public perception of law schools) than at you personally. Your syllabus just presented the clearest examples I had available to demonstrate one of the things that aggravates me the most about going to school as an adult. If, for copyright prospective I need to correctly cite your syllabus, please note so in the comments. Also, to avoid potential plagiarism claims, all italicized and quoted material in my original post are not mine and were, in fact, quoted from the syllabus being discussed. I will post tomorrow about my impressions of your class and the other one we had tonite and you'll be glad to know it's a good review.