8/30/2004

We'll be right back

NOTICE - the author of this blog would like to take a break for a moment and talk about the most exciting thing to happen so far this summer . . . Football Season! Yes, that's right, it's football time again and I couldn't be happier. The college season started out over the weekend with USC getting by VT and just watching the game and hearing the crowd cheer made me happy (ask the wife, I was jumping up and down and yelling at the TV). Anyways, I love football, I love football season, and now I'll share some of the football related things I love with all of you. If you don't love football, come back tomorrow.

One of my favorite things about football season is playing Fantasy Football. Yes, I know this almost makes me a football uber geek, but I'm okay with that. Last year I played in 3 leagues and won enough to cover my fees and take the wife and I out to dinner, so it's worth the effort. This season, with law school eating up most of my time, I'm only playing in one league, but it's the league I won last year and I'm already taunting the other players. We don't draft until this weekend so I don't know how my team will line up, but I've got hope that I can make a repeat performance or at least show well.

Another thing I like about football season is football sports writers, usually the online variety. I'm a big fan of many of the writers at SI.com, but Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback (MMQB) and anything Dr. Z writes are a couple of the best. My all time favorite, though, is Gregg Easterbrook's Tuesday Morning Quarterback (TMQ) now hosted at NFL.com. Mr. Easterbrook is a Brooking's Fellow, writes for TNR, and is the author of some pretty heady stuff, yet he puts out this weekly football column that has had me rolling on the floor at times. I love it! ESPN also has some good NFL coverage, but they're making too much of their stuff payable content and it's just not worth it to me given all the good stuff that out there for free already.

Personally, I'm a bigger NFL fan than a college football fan, but I love a good college rivalry. Texas-OU, Michigan-Ohio State, and Florida-Florida State are some of my favorite games of the year. I didn't go to a Division I college but growing up in Texas and going to undergrad in Michigan have affected who I root for so Hook'em Horns and Let's Go Blue! As long as those two teams don't play each other I don't have to worry about which one I like the best.

Wow, this has been a fun post to write. Just thinking about football on a Monday morning is making me happy. Now, it's off to the web to put together my fantasy football draft list for this weekend. Go Cowboys!